Local landscapers share their favorite fall-blooming perennials.
1. Variegated Liriope is one of my favorite fall-blooming perennials for its showy purple flower spires that emerge in late summer/early fall and jazz up an otherwise neutral perennial. Katy Scott, Green Guys.
2. Aromatic Aster. This compact grower provides the garden with bright, vibrant fall lavender color and will also attract butterflies to your garden. Aromatic Aster will tolerate poor soil and growing conditions, yet continue to thrive in the landscape. Justin Verbryck, Frisella Nursery.
3. Anemone. Deer resistant and vibrant, this flower can be used as a container plant as well as a ground cover. The flower is one of the more eye catching fall bloomers thanks to its white-striped highlights that shoot out from the flower's center. Andria Gaeler, Chesterfield Valley Nursery.
4. Fall-blooming asters are dependable, sturdy perennials that will flower from October until first frost. David Sherwood, Sherwood’s Forest.
5. Cliff Goldenrod stays in tidy, low-growing clumps and is sun or shade flexible, making it great for most any spot in the landscape! Laura Caldie, Greenscape Gardens.